Thursday 26 February 2009

Moods

Isn´t it interesting how moods have the power to change the view on the world and thus, for all practical reasons, the world itself?
Heideggers writes on this, that a bad mood let a Dasein (person/sentient being) feel the burden of his being in the world, while a good mood relieves from this feelings. A bad mood will veil the world and oneself to a Dasein. Why anyone has one specific mood at one specific time, nobody can tell.

And that´s exactly how I feel sometimes. I find myself to be in a bad mood and I can´t say why. When I think about it, I recall being in a good mood just some hours ago and there wasn´t any specific occurrence I could name as the reason for my mood to change. And what consequences this change has!
If it´s really bad, I will be pissed off by the most insignificant things I come across. I won´t get done anything right because I will make the most stupid mistakes out of negligence. If anything bad happens it seems logical, that´s exactly what I expected to happen. If anything good happens I don´t really care, because there´s always a downside to be found to it.

It´s amazing how such a simple thing as a mood can change everything that used to be setup beforehand by character, philosophy/worldview and intelligent thinking in general.

Of course this doesn´t apply only to bad moods; the exact opposite of the above is true if I happen to be really high-spirited, though that doesn´t happen that much.

The hardest thing for me is trying to actively change a mood I´m in. It really takes effort and isn´t always successful. Up to this point, I found out the best thing to do is to remind myself of a goal I have, something really sweet I´m going to do/have in the future. So the point for me is to never run out of goals and to actively aim for them.

2 comments:

  1. I think moods are more about chemical balance in the brain and body. For example if you have a really bad diet( like eating fast food and greasy shit) your supposed to feel a bit worse, and then as you say, you start thinking of bad stuff, or some little thing buggs you and you just go off the deep end.

    on the other hand if you have a good balanced diet you maintain a good chemical balance in your brain, so the negative moods swings become less extreme.

    This happens also with drugs(legal or not) that release dopamine and other such substances that make you feel good for a while but then after the experience you feel a bit down because of that excess release.

    i like to read or run, depending on if im depressed or mad. if im happy i try to live the moment without thinkin of the future and all of its uncertainties.

    Hi btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right about the chemical balance, but I don´t think it´s (all)about diet. My moods change with or without eating in the meantime. And I can´t say that I see any longterme effects of eating especially healthy or unhealthy foods either. Well, at least not in regards to moods.

    Reading something interesting is a good advice, if I can get myself to that, I can forget almost everything around me. Sports is just not my thing.
    Trying to live in the moment and not thinking of the future is hard to come by for me. It works sometimes when I´m completely lost in a book; watching films doesn´t work so well. On other occasions than that my mind seems to be busy all the time with thinking, planning, calculating, wondering etc.

    ReplyDelete